Thursday, June 21, 2012

Wall of Wow!



 

It happened again!  I was going to go to a local park where I have seen some nice birds hanging out but it looks like rain.  I had a spot all picked out where I would finish reading the first six chapters of In Pictures and In Words by  Katie Wood Ray.  I want to be ready for Deedee's book study!  I just got the book yesterday and I'm really enjoying what I've read.  I'm hoping it will clear up later, so I can sit and read in that quiet birdy spot later.  The good news is, we'll be able to turn off the AC and open up the windows again.  We're headed back into the 70s. We michiganders don't do well when it is 90!


Yesterday I decided to go into school to do a little work.  I'm going to try to dedicate Wednesday mornings to "work".  Wonderful, Worthwhile Work Days has a ring to it!  To add to my alliteration, I  worked on my Wall of Wow.  In years past my Wall of Wow has been completly teacher controlled and usually teacher forgotten about mid-year.  This year I am dedicating a whole board to it and making it more student directed.  I have always been sure to include work from each student on the Wall, but I want students to find intrinsic value in what they are doing.  Too often I'm the one holding the carrot!  


Each child will be given a section on the wall where they  will decide what they think is WOW worthy.  I'll encourage them to change it on a regular basis. If they did something at home they want to share, they can hang it there, too! I'm hoping this will encourage students to be proud of their work. I am almost done.  I just have to add their names.  
Before!


I laminated gift wrap before covering the board.
I also laminated card stock to use in my project.



Almost there...
After and ready to hang!


Thinking about my new group of owlets filled me with excitement.  I had to let them know I was thinking about them, so I took the idea from Kimberly at First in Maine and tailored it to my new students.  (I teach in a small school, so I know exactly who I'll have next year because I'm it for first grade! ) I sent this to each of my new students yesterday...




Aren't these the sweetest?
Caught in the act! I love sending mail.  That reminds me
I've got some rocks to get in the mail! ;)
It looks like I'll have to read inside today!  It keeps getting darker and darker.  Thanks for stopping by.  I'd love to know what you are doing today!(HINT:  Leave a comment!!)

5 comments:

  1. Your kiddos are going to be so excited when they check their mailbox! I know who my kids are for next year, but since changes can always be made during the summer, I can't send them things:-(

    The WOW board is such a great idea...and keeps them on the look our for great work.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Wow Wall! Thanks for the shout out. I'm doing Deedee's study too. See you there!

    ✰ Kimberley ✰
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good idea using wrapping paper! It's so bright and colorful.

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny,


    I love your Wall of Wow!! What a fun idea!! And what a great summer challenge for your students coming in next year!!! I especially love the postcard idea!!!! I would love to set that up not only for the students coming in, but for my students who I had this year! I miss them already! And that would be such a fun bulletin board to have up at the beginning of the year with all their postcards!!!

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks very colorful and inviting. I would also love to contact my kiddos beforehand, but we always have last minute changes too. I'm sure they will be super-excited for their new challenge!

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete

Please give me a hoot!