Wednesday, October 17, 2012

MANS Conference and the Doctor Will See You Now!

Tomorrow I'm going to the MANS conference  in Grand Rapids. I love learning new ways to make learning interesting and fresh for myself and my students. I'm also wondering if I might be sitting next to you at one of the conference break-out sessions. We could greet each other and then send notes back and forth while the presenter is speaking...Did I really just say that? YES!! We could even go somewhere for a cup of coffee and share ideas...Doesn't that sound like fun? Who's in?

I'm working on ways to help my owlets be able to decide which operation to use when they are doing math word problems. I think today may have helped! We wore "surgical" masks and gloves while performing operations on numbers. Each child had to read the story problem and choose the operation. Then they performed the operation on the recording sheet circling the right operation...I think they got it!! I just used the word problems from their math curriculum, so it wasn't very much work for me, but the impact was HUGE!!
I would trust my numbers with this doctor...He is that good!
Click on the picture below for this poem to help your students remember which operation to perform.


I recently won a great resource from Key Education Publishing. Each page of the book has wonderful activities to help my first graders learn about place value. Ten frames, 100s charts, games and worksheets combine to make this a book I will go to often! Key Education Publishing has give aways regularly on their Facebook page...Check them out. 
Thank you Key Education for this great resource. You can order this resources from Carson Dellosa and then a dollar will go to Breast Cancer Research Fund!!  Or you could win a gift certificate and order it!



4 comments:

  1. They must have had lots of fun with that!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of those things that sticks with kids and they remember it at the end of the year. How fun!

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your surgical masks! That is SO very clever. Your kids will never forget that lesson:)
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete

Please give me a hoot!