Saturday, November 3, 2012

An Egg is Quiet...

I'm having a wonderful time with Pi Bo Id Mo! Each day I write a new idea I have for a picture book. I wish that I could illustrate, but I have first graders who can! I have always loved writing stories for my students and committing to writing each day this month has been a lot of fun! Of course, this is only day three!

To help with inspiration, I'm reading tons of picture books. Studying the way illustrators and authors work together to make the text come alive for young readers (or old readers!) is fascinating to me. Today I'm sharing a non-fiction text with you. It is such a beautiful book and one I treasure dearly. It does have birds in it, so how could I not love it!


An Egg is Quiet by Dianna Aston and illustrated by Sylvia Long is a celebration of the beauty of eggs. It includes more than 60 different types of eggs. There is so much variation among eggs. Each egg has its own beauty, shape, and color! The book not only covers bird eggs, but includes fish, turtle and insect eggs, too. If you hatched out of an egg what would your shell look like? Mine would be green with brown squiggles all over it! I'll have my students write about eggs this week and find out what their shell would look like! Click the picture if you'd like a copy to use!


4 comments:

  1. I wish we could hang out every weekend. You are my fav! I dare this book. I want to buy the whole series.

    Kimberley
    1stinmaine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you're doing the pi Bo Id mo thing. I was thinking of joining but didn't.
    An Egg is Quiet is an amazing book. It's one of my favorites!

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers

    ReplyDelete
  3. We LOVED this book during our bird study last year. My kids loved the opening and closing pages.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete

Please give me a hoot!