Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sidle-Up for a Good Book!

I am LOVING the posts on Writing for Kids While Raising Them. Today's guest is Emma Ledbetter and she talked about the "Sidle-up effect".  I love the idea of the "Sidle-up Effect" because it happened to me over and over as a child. It started with picture books and continued through all of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. Today I try to attract my

My mom was a master book whisperer. She knew how to get all six of her children to sidle-up next to, around and draped over her...READ! There are some books that all six of us still can "Sidle-up" around. I would guess that all six of us could agree that The Story of Ferdinand is one of those books. Thank you, Mom! You were the best book whisperer ever! You and dad encouraged us to be great readers by example!

My favorite line from the book is this: "His mother saw that he was not lonesome, and because she was an understanding mother, even though she was a cow, she let him just sit there and be happy."

RANDOMNESS:
Today my daughter made my day. I had encouraged her to read "Out of the Dust" by Karen Hesse. She told me she was up until 2:30 last night finishing that book and that she wished the characters were real people because she would like to talk to them in Heaven...I think she is hooked! Her love for reading started with picture books!

2 comments:

  1. I hope this happens to my girls! We read together (almost) EVERY night! I see the love of reading in them and all sit on my lap when it's "ty turn" (as our youngest says). :)
    Maria
    http://curiousfirsties.blogspot.com

    ps... we are presenting on blogging at our district in-service. I hope you don't mind that I used your blog as on I heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!
    I saw your comment on Tammy's handwriting post over at FOREVER IN FIRST and I just had to stop by and tell you how adorable your blog is! I love anything with OWLS! So nice to meet you and become your newest follower!
    Julie

    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete

Please give me a hoot!