Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Tiny Treasures and a Freebie!

I almost threw away these stale hard marshmallows I found in my pantry. I decided I'd hold onto them and use them for counters, or game pieces. Late one night I had an idea... Today my students finished their snow-globe, marshmallow, snowman, nativity project! I was thrilled with how it turned out. My tiny treasures were able to put together their own tiny treasure to take home. Little fingers carefully glued stale old marshmallows together to produce this...




We learned about the words fragile and delicate as each child was instructed to hand carry their tiny treasure home. After being told it would not hold up to a real shake-up, as a true snow-globe would, one had to give it a try and ended up with Mary, Joseph and Jesus carelessly flung to the ground! "I like it better this way," he said!


We haven't had any significant snow here...Yet! Some of us are hoping for a good dumping Thursday night when snowstorm Draco moves into the area. This is the first year they've named snowstorms, and I like it! If Draco can create enough havoc, I'll be sitting in front of the fire reading between batches of cookies. I'll need a bookmark, so I'll use one of these...

Click HERE if you want a set for yourself...Merry Christmas!


7 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE this! The one thing I dislike about public school is teaching the real reason for the season.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those nativities are ADORABLE! I wish I still taught in Catholic school to do fun things like this :)

    If you have time, stop by my blog and check out my giveaway!
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    The Fabulous First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I teach in MN but am originally from WI and they are getting hit by snowstorm Draco right now! We only have some flurries here...bummer!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I LOVE Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are the cutest things I've EVER seen!!!! You now have my wheels turning about what I can do with stale marshmallows.
    The wind is whipping around here but only flurries right now. Wouldn't that be a GREAT Christmas gift? However... I do need a little time with my little guys tomorrow to finish up odds 'n ends. :)
    Merry Christmas!!!!!!!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so cute that I'm laughing, in a good way of course.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  6. How creative to use marshmallows for your nativity scene! Super cute!
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete

Please give me a hoot!