Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Yorktown


Dear Owlets,
We traveled to some very interesting places today and I thought of you all over and over! Can you imagine living in a place where your days are filled with work starting at about the age of four? Would you like to live in a house with no computers, no television, no video games, dirt floors and sleeping with your whole family in one room? If you had lived in Jamestown or Yorktown over 200 years ago that is how you would be living.

Yorktown, Virginia is where the final battle was fought in the Revolutionary War. Here Cornwallis surrendered to General Washington. I learned about what it would be like to be a soldier in General George Washington's Army! I don't think I would have liked it very much. I can't imagine living in a tent with five other people in one of those tents. We wouldn't be able to take showers and the food would be not so good!

How do these beans look? I'd have to be awfully hungry before I'd eat them.
Below is a picture of the oven the soldiers would cook their food on.
\


A soldier showed us how to load and shoot a musket. I jumped when
he fired. It was really loud!
I'm pretty tired but I can't end the day without sharing a bird picture with you. I think you'll recognize the feet of this bird!
Write your guess down...I'll show you the full bird tomorrow!
Tomorrow you'll learn a little bit about one of the first colonies in the United States. Life was very hard and many people died trying to make a new life in the new world. 
Remember to be kind to our guest teacher...Show her the ways of the OWL! I miss you!!
Love,
Queen Owl!


2 comments:

  1. I love being on travels with you! Also love that you call substitute's "guest teachers" I do that as well! Looking forward to your next spot!

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love the history in Virginia?! It is great to live and see it every day! I haven't been to Jamestown in Yorktown since right after college and will probably take my son there this year since he learns VA history in school. Have fun and take in all the beauty Virginia has to offer!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete

Please give me a hoot!