Friday, June 20, 2014

Five For Friday




Isn't it funny how even over summer vacation there is something AwESome about Fridays? Of course Doodle Bugs Teaching's 5 for Friday gives me something to look forward to all week long! Drum roll please...Here are my FiVE random things from this week:
Do you remember getting the Sears Wish Book catalog when you were a kid? My sister and I would sit knee to knee and elbow to elbow searching that catalog for our favorite things. We'd write our name on each thing we wished for and would spend hours studying it. I made a connection to that memory when I opened my mailbox and found this...
I LOVE this catalog. It is so full of great ideas that get my mind dreaming of next year's edventures!

I had my first "playdate" this week. I invite new and old students to come to class and play. We work on a craft, read books, have a snack and play! It is a great way to help my new first graders get used to me and encourage reading and growing all summer long. I read these two great books...

I love this book. It is written in rhyme and provides great information
about a variety of different bird nests. This was my favorite read for the day. My Owlets loved this one...

Rosie the hen has a walk that she thinks is with out much adventure. The fox that stalks her has quite a difficult time
trying to catch up to her. The illustrations are funny and help tell this delightful story. I have been using this book for years with emergent readers and it is most definitely one of my top 10 picks for new readers!


Our playdate theme was birds. Our craft was paper plate birds. We painted them one color and then added details with wiggly eyes and feathers. I think they turned out pretty cute.


I have finally entered the world of sensory bins. Oh my! I wasn't sure if they'd get used, but the students I thought of when making them were attracted to them and played in them for most of the free play time. They sifted, poured and made up bird stories as they played in the birdseed. I can hardly wait to make another one for our next playdate. Thanks to Sandi at Rubber Boots and Elf Shoes for so much inspiration! I've been stalking your blog, Sandi, looking at these bins for such a long time. I wasn't sure exactly what the benefits would be, but for my new student with Selective Mutism I think the benefits will be HUGE! 




Crinkly paper, rubberband worms, feathers, binoculars, eggs and birdseed make this a perfect home for my Beanie Baby!

I'm branching out and making birds and chickens now!

My friend Kimberly is doing a great series on making time. If you haven't checked it out, you should! HERE you will find a guest post by Tiny Teeny Teacher YOU MUST READ IT!! 




Well I'm off to enjoy reading blogs for inspiration and fun. Friday nights are the best!

2 comments:

  1. We'll I love the you have play dates. Someday I won't be halfway across the country. Happy birding.
    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, I remember the Sears catalogue! Too funny:)
    I forgot that you do your summer playdates. I think that's a fabulous idea and so generous of you. We can't do that 'cause we never have our list until the end of the first week back-to-school.
    Glad to see you're doing the sensory bins. I keep meaning to but still haven't. Maybe this summer I can get it together.
    Kristen's post was great! I really enjoyed it.
    Take care.
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete

Please give me a hoot!